Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Weight loss plan for Elaine


Elaine Teo fought in the 57kg category during the Beijing Olympics last month. She will be competing in the 51kg category at the Vietnam Open next month. —Reuters


KUALA LUMPUR: Taekwondo exponent Elaine Teo has to lose weight to compete in the 51kg category competition at the Vietnam Open in Ho Chi Minh City from Oct 24-26.

Elaine was on a weight gain programme for the Olympics last month because she was mistakenly penned in for the 57kg competition instead of the below 49kg category in a qualifying event in Ho Chi Minh City last November.


But she beat the odds to qualify for the Beijing Games with a bronze medal-winning effort.

The 27-year-old Elaine, who reached the quarter-final stage at the Olympics, said that she only resumed training four days ago after the outing in Beijing.

“I am 53kg now and have to control my food intake to lose weight to compete in a lighter category. I should have no problem losing two kilogrammes in the next six weeks,” she said.

“For the Vietnam Open, I stand a better chance of winning a medal in the 51kg category. I won the silver medal in that division last year.”

Elaine, a gold medallist in the 51kg category at the 2007 Korat SEA Games, added that she felt much more confident now than before after having competed against heavier exponents in the Beijing Olympics.

“However, I have to work on my reach and also need to be more aggressive in my attacks. My mission in Vietnam is to win the gold,” said Elaine, who will be in the company of strong exponents from South Korea and China.

Elaine will also compete in the Asian University Games, which will be held in Kuala Lumpur in December. She was a bronze medallist at the last Games in Vietnam in 2006

Read more: http://martialarts.com.my/community/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1137#ixzz2N0hYJcpl

No comments:

Post a Comment